Pahiyas Festival



Yesterday was the 15th of May, one of the most looked forward days of the year here in our little town of Lucban. It's because it's the Harvesst Festival, commonly called here as he Pahiyas Festival. It's a thanksgiving for the Patron Saint of Farmers, San Isidro Labrador. It is celebrated throughout Quezon. Here in Lucban, houses are decorated with grains, vegetables and other stuffs from the harvest.





Tourists are everywhere. You could easily tell the natives from the tourists because most of the natives here dressed in jeans and t-shirts and most of the tourists are like over casual with just capri pants and a white t-shirt while some are overly glammed up with their sunglasses and dresses. As a person that's been experiencing this event for almost ten years already, I already know their routine. Tourists oftenly tend to explore the town during morning when the sun isn't that scorching hot yet. Despite them trying to start early to avoid the sun, it still gets hot even before they finished their sightseeings. Well, that's how tourists spent their day. Now, I'm going to tell mine. I was woken up early, five in the morning, by my father. I went outside to check what's the ruckus is all about. Outside our house, I found trucks and a satellite, all labeled GMA. A few blocks away were the cast of Unang Hirit. It's an early morning show here in the Philippines under the GMA network. I took a time to just look at them then I went back to our house and slept again. Waking up, about 7 or 6:30, they were still there. I turned on the computer and proceeded to my daily internet habits like E-mail, TV spoilers, Friendster and Facebook. I also watched the finale of Top Model Cycle 12. Sooner, the celebrities were gone and the crew packed up and left. The day was very pleasant. I was glad it wasn't raining but it was starting to heat up. In the middle of the scorching sunny day with lots of people on the streets, my mother sent me to the supermarket to but plastics for the mango juice we sell. I rode on our bike and avoided the crowd all the way to the local supermarket. After walking from a store to another, I managed to find a store that sells the platics that my mother needed. I hurried back to the house using the same route. When I got back, after handing her her requested plastics, she pointed out that the platics have rat nibbles on its corner. I was pissed. Just the thought of riding my bike again under the heat of the sun along with the crowds that are going to be on my way irritated me. I had no choice. I went back there using a different route. Don't ask why. I just think that it's weird passing to a single route over and over and over again. Then lunch came. We still have no visitors coming and it's fine. What's not fine is my father being an ass as usual. Yelling here and there, asking for help. Seriously. Why can't he speak in a nicer way. It makes us look like we're slaves being commanded by our master. 12:30, I'm watching the rerun of the reunion of the Cycle 12 of Top Model on the Tyra Banks show. Some relatives started arriving. After the show, I watched Hairspray on HBO.

After a while of being lazy in front of the TV, I decided to take a bath. I ironed my shirt and changed to my outfit for the day. Ova texted me, telling me her whereabouts and I decided to met up with her and her friends. By the way, Ova is a gay man. She cross-dresses. That's why I call her she rather than he like Robin. She says she likes me that's why I don't turn her down. Well anyways, I met up with her after about an hour of shaking my nerves off cause I honestly don't know what to expect. I met Yollie, Rae and BJ. I have to say, they're really friendly. I don't find them strange or anything. I'm just really uncomfortable because I don't know them and they don't know me either. Isn't that just convinient? LOL. We had some beer. Talked a little. Literally, the words that went out my mouth can be easily counted and it's less than a hundred words. I really didn't talk that much. I didn't know what to say. I'm just weird like that, really. They had other friends that came over. Bebang, Ella and the other one I can't remember. Sorry. Anyways, Ova and I left at about 6:30. She has some visitors and it's a cool timing cause I have to leave and meet up with my friends at my place.

I arrived home. All I saw was my relatives there. I made my occassional mano to the elders then I went inside to pee. I went out to watch out for my friends and as I expected, they showed up after a few minutes. Much to my surprise, Robin was with them. It's not that I don't want to be around him or anything. It's just weird being at the same place with him knowing that he's mad with our so called "circle of friends". I greeted them as a whole then I asked them to wait for Jeffrey, Virgi, Mark Paul and Christine. Micah said that it's okay because she also had to wait for Patz. Robin was in the background saying some stuff. I couldn't make out the words. I chose not to make out the words. After I talked Virgi, Jeffrey and Jefty who had just arrived, I glanced around and Robin was gone. After a while he showed up, walked behind Virgi's back then bitched about Virgi's henna tattoo. Virgi freaked out and became really mad. I told her to relax but she didn't listen and said that she doesn't want to be around him anymore. Patz arrived and we went on our way to Alyssa's. The walk, as I expected, was full of stirred up emotions with lots of awkwardness. We isolated ourselves from Robin who was walking with Meng and the others. We were ahead of them. We arrived at Alyssa's first and I greeted her Grandmother with a mano, that went for her parents too.

We grabbed our plates with me leading to the food. The food was really great but what's not great is Robin bitching again. There were two tables outside Alyssa's house. A round one and a rectangular one. At first, no one went outside so I decided to go but as I went outside, it turned out that Robin and some of ou friends are going there too. I looked at the table that was occupied by Robin and the empty round one. I can't just seat alone at that table. That's when I decided to seat with them at their table. I forced myself to look calm and unaffected which pretty much paid off because Kim acknowledged that Mark Paul and I seemed to be unaffected. While eating, Robin was just bitching and talking and bitching. Micah and Alyssa tried to stop him but it didn't necessarily work. We waited for Kia and Macy to arrive. Jiru also arrived. (edited) Fatima arrived before Jiru.(/edited. I forgot. Sorry.) I greeted him happily and he replied with his unusual not energetic self. The things is it is getting pretty late. We still have to go around the town to checkout the winners and stuff like that. We also have to go to Niña's and then go to my place and have a celebration because May 15 was Micah's birthday too. Someone asked me if we could just go on and proceed to Niña's but I told him/her that maybe we should stay a bit longer because Jiru had just arrived. They agreed and after a while, we left. Before leaving we took some pictures.

The plan is explore the town, eat at Niña's then have a drink at our place. As we were exploring near the local supermarket, we passed by a house where Ma'am Donna and Sir Maranan was in. We stopped to say hi. Thank God we did because if we didn't, we couldn't have found out that Niña was waiting for us since forever and she hasn't explored the town yet. I almost forgot. We lost track of Robin, Meng, Fatima, and Bernard. We thought they were behind us but it turned out that they're not. Now, the plan is fetch Niña, explore the town, eat at Niña's and then have a drink at our place. We're done fetching Niña. We're just waiting for Kim who was buying a coke. I decided to pee at Niña's first. We started walking then a surprise was walking opposite our direction. It was Robin, Meng, Fatima and Raina (edited) and also Jiru (/edited. I didn't see him. Sorry.). Robin went to the sides then said, "Eeh!" in a very sarcastic way.

We explored the town then ate at Niña's where Meng, Fatima and Raina followed. Then we left and Meng was pretty pissed off. She even sent us a message afterwards saying that if we don't want to make nice with Robin then don't. She said that she doesn't want to get involved anymore and stuff like that. After that small acknowledgement we proceeded with the dirnking where everything to me seemed to be blurry and fast. Ova called me from time to time. After the drinking session for Micah's birthday, I cleaned up and Ova called me again and we had a surprisingly serious conversation.


0 comments:

Post a Comment